I’m often asked “How did I lose 173 lbs?” To answer that question here are my top 13 weight loss tips that I used to successfully reach my goal.
My Top 10 Weight Loss Tips
- Keep a food journal (daily record of food intake, exercise, weekly weighins)
- Eat fresh, whole foods as often as possible
- Limit sugar and unhealthy fats (eliminate them if you can or keep to a minimum)
- Give up the diet soda (this was a tough one for me) or at least limit it to one or two a day (switch to tea, it is much better for you and doesn’t have the harmful affects on your body that soda does)
- Set up guidelines and rules that work for you (for example: my rule is 3 small meals a day and to not eat at any other time, this works for me, but may not be workable for others)
- Sticking to my motto: Don’t be a fool, eat for fuel (eating for nourishment, not as a means to cope with anger, depression, etc.)
- Eat slowly, chew well, appreciate and really taste the food
- Get enough sleep (if you can’t sleep, than meditation which refreshes the mind and body)
- Eat ONLY when hungry and stop before feeling stuffed – often the body “feels” hungry, but is really in need of water, nutrients or rest, since these are often ignored the body has learned to send out hunger signals instead. Also eating junk food fills the stomach but does not nourish the body, so even though the stomach is full the body keeps signaling it needs more.
- Find nonfood ways to reward and comfort yourself, for example: take up a hobby to cope with boredoom, phone a friend when feeling sad, go for a walk when feeling angry
- Always be prepared ahead of time when traveling or attending a social event – carry something with you or keep emergency rations in your desk at work if you forget your lunch (for example: protein bar, 100 calorie pack of almonds, packet of instant oatmeal). Don’t let yourself get so hungry you over indulge or grab something out of the snack machine.
- Be gentle with yourself – setting health as a top priority every single day and being loving and kind to yourself
- Don’t give up – take one day at a time, plateaus happen, set backs happen – but one step at a time, one meal at a time, one day at time becomes a week, a month, a year and in time any goal can be reached.
Health and Happiness, Lady Rose
Weight Loss Summary – 308 lbs to 135 lbs (May 1 2006 to Jan. 1, 2011; Maintenance 1/1/11 to present.
Getting Healthy Photos – from beginning to goal and beyond (recent photo Aug. 2011)
Ask A Witch is a regular feature here at Blissful Moon. If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to leave a comment, contact me by email, or send me a message via my facebook profile.
Thurs 13 #2
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants.