Last Thursday 13 I listed my top 13 Weight Loss Tips. To fully answer the question “how did I lose 173 lbs” I need to include other changes I made to help create an overall healthier lifestyle. My weight loss was not just because of the food I ate and I wasn’t losing weight to fit into a smaller size pair of jeans – I lost the weight because I wanted to regain my health and reduce or eliminate the daily pain I was in. I wanted more energy and to have a quality life physically, emotionally and mentally. My journey to lose 173 lbs and reach my goal of a healthy weight (135 lbs) included making a lot of changes to improve my overall health. I didn’t do these changes all at once – but gradually, making one or two changes at a time. Here are some of the changes I made to help create a healthier lifestyle.
- Drink more water, most of us are suffering from dehydration and are not even aware it. Cut out the soda and sugary beverages, reduce the caffeine (herbal tea is a nice substitute)
- Rest – stop fretting about sleep, when you can’t sleep meditate, relax and just breath. A few hours of meditation are more restorative to your body than a few hours of fitful sleep. Yes sleep is important – but worrying about it only makes it harder to actually get to sleep.
- Add more fresh, whole foods to your meals – pick one meal to improve, than another, than another, make changes gradually and find healthy substitutes for overly processed favorites (i.e. a baked sweet potato instead of potato chips)
- Eat more veggies (especially dark greens) – one way to do this is to add lots of veggies to soups and sauces
- Take a quality multi-vitamin – our soil is depleted and our foods are less nutritous, so even when eating healthy it is harder to get all the vitamins and minerals our bodies need
- Add more fish or other source of Omega 3 to your diet
- Cut back on meat gradually, goal is to use meat more like a condiment rather than as a the bulk of the meal (and when you do eat meat select organic whenever possible), have a meatless meal several times a week and when you do use meat have it be the “side dish” not the featured item on the plate.
- Add more raw food to your daily menu, an easy way to do this is green smoothies – I use a good blender (I use a Blendtec; a Vitamix is also very good) to blend fruit and dark green veggies together (and it is delicious!). Two books that are very helpful and got me started with Green Smoothies: Victoria Boutenko’s Green Smoothie Revolution: The Radical Leap Towards Natural Healthand Green for Life.
- Switch to more natural cleaners, and use less chemicals in the home
- Forgive yourself and others, let go of past hurts and anger
- Smile and hug more, reach out to others
- Gratitude and respect, cultivate a positive attitude about life, the earth, and others
- Learn more about herbs and their nutritional value (for cooking and natural remedies) – using herbs doesn’t have to be complicated and there are dozens of ways to use the herbs that are already in your kitchen. Below is a link to a FREE herbal course.
Top 13 Weight Loss Tips
Weight Loss Summary – 308 lbs to 135 lbs (May 1 2006 to Jan. 1, 2011; Maintenance 1/1/11 to present.
Getting Healthy Photos— from beginning to goal and beyond (recent photo Aug. 2011)
Ask A Witch is a regular feature here at Blissful Moon. If you have a question or suggestion please feel free to leave a comment, contact me by email, or send me a message via my facebook profile.
Thurs. 13 #3
Note: The photo is one I took at the farm where we have a farm share.
Get the Thursday Thirteen code here! The purpose of the meme is to get to know everyone who participates a little bit better every Thursday. Visiting fellow Thirteeners is encouraged! If you participate, leave the link to your Thirteen in others’ comments. It’s easy, and fun! Trackbacks, pings, comment links accepted! View More Thursday Thirteen Participants.