Photo: August 2011 – weight 135 lbs (maintaining goal weight reached Jan. 1, 2011)
****** May 1, 2010: 170 lbs ************ May 1, 2007: 218 lbs ************ May 1, 2006 293.5 lbs
(Jan. 31, 2009: 308 lbs highest weight no photo)
Weekly Summary of Weight Lost Journey – from May 1, 2006 to present and beyond (maintanence)
I started blogging May 1, 2006 at my previous blog, Diet Pulpit, to journal my weight loss journey. It was a long and often bumpy road to reach my goal with ups and downs, and a few tears too. But finally Jan. 1, 2011 I reached my goal for a healthy weight of 135 lbs. I will be keeping track of my maintenance here at Blissful Moon, and journal my continuing journey to make positive changes in many aspects of my life to create a heahtly home and lifestyle.
For the record, below is a brief overview of my health issues and diet and weight history and the many trial and errors with diets of all kinds starting over 35 years ago as a young teen when my goal was to lose 5 to 10 lbs, which led to a top weight at one point of over 300 lbs.
- Childhood: never overweight. Diagnosed with juvenile rheumatoid arthritis at age 2, hospitalized and in bed for several months on and off for years, age 6 to 7 spent 1 year in hospital confined to bed with leg casts on, age 7 to 11 spent 4 years in leg braces and very little activity allowed.
- Age 14 (1969) – early teens: Weight 125 to 130 lbs Goal 120 Tried to lose 5-10 lbs. Stopped eating as much as possible and self induced vomiting if I did. This phase didn’t last very long – only a few months.
- Age 18: Weight 155 lbs Tried not eating much and Atkins – didn’t work.
- Through my 20’s: Weight 155-165 lbs Hysterectomy for cervial cancer age 20. Starved for many years, tried several diets, would lose some (5 to 10 lbs) and gain back a bit more. Gave up.
- Through most of my 30’s: Weight 185 lbs Used diet pills from doctor for several years, very little food but I wasn’t hungry.
- Age 37 – Sept. 1, 1991: Weight 155 lbs Finally made it to 155 lbs for my wedding Sept. 1, 1991 by increasing diet pills and less food. After wedding stopped diet pills, tried Atkins, Weight Watchers, Soup Diet, Rice House Diet, and many others.
- Nov. 2001: 210 lbs Goal Diagnosed with hypothyroidism, started Levoxyl 50 mcg. Continued trying various diets on and off, but nothing worked. Told by the doctor I would never lose weight and that I should just give up (however, whenever I went for an appointment and was weighed by the nurse she would constantly tell me I was getting fatter).
- Early 2003: Weight 285 lbs Started a diet I created by strictly counting calories (800 – 900 calories a day or less when possible) and moderate exercise 3 times a week. Physically I had been feeling tottally exhausted and ravenously hungryalmost constantly for the past couple years, but determined to lose the weight no matter what I had to do.
- Jan. 2005: Weight fluctuated between 180 – 190 lbs for a few months; I went to a nutritionist, she approved of my diet of 800 – 900 calories but wanted me to add a little fat (equivalent of .5 per meal or the amount in 1 egg). Kept trying, but gained back a few pounds and had to starve for weeks to lose it. Goal: 135 lbs.
- By Mid-2005: Weight 250+ lbs Took a break from dieting for about three months, gained back over 70 lbs – gave up, continued to gain.
- March 2006: Weight 290+ lbs New doctor – she retested me and I was told I did NOT have hypothyrodism (never did), set new goal weight that was healthier for me, taken off medication (felt a LOT better within the first week), had my diet plan approved by doctor (800 – 900 calories daily, light exercise 3 times a week increase over time). Discussed possibility of gastric bypass surgery. She was willing to work with me and help me lose weight, but wanted to address other health concerns first.
- April 2006: Weight 310 lbs Scale used: doctor type scale in ladies room at work, afternoon, fully dressed. I always said I’d just jump off a bridge if I ever went over 300 lbs. Well that day arrived; luckily no bridges were close by.
- May 1, 2006 started Diet Pulpit blog. Reweighed myself day one of healthy eating plan for the “official” start weight: 293.5.
- Week 90 weight 206; following week started to regain weight.
- Jan.31, 2009 Week 140 – reached 308 lbs (my highest weight).
- Feb. 23, 2009 Appointment with weight loss surgery consultant – office weight 308 lbs, doctor set new goal: 140 lbs.
- Mar. 1, 2009 started over, restarted journal week 1: weight 306.5 lbs.
- Aug. 3, 2009 two days before gastric bypass surgery doctor’s office weighin 253 lbs – total lost pre-op 55 lbs
- Dec. 18, 2010 Week 93 weighin doctor’s office 138 lbs (reached weight the doctor had set as my goal 140 lbs)
- Jan. 1, 2011 Week 95 weighin home scale reached my goal: 135 lbs (total released 173 lbs)
- Oct. 30, 2011 (56th Birthday): 133 lbs – staying healthy and strong
Over the last two years of regaining my health it was not just dietary changes that helped me reaached my goal. Also it is not the number on the scale that makes me healthy. I also chose to eat healthy foods that nourish my body, to move and breathe deeply, and to create a happy and relaxed environment for myself and my family so that we can better handle the every day stresses that occur in life.
I practice qi gong healing, meditation, and journaling (inner self work to deal with emotional issues and continue to build healthier habits and positive coping methods). I make my health my top priority and make choices every day that help me create an over healthy lifestyle.
Later this week I’ll post my best weight loss tips.
What health goals are you working on? How do you handle challenges? What health successes have your achieved? I love sharing and learning, so feel free to leave a comment or link to a post you wrote.
Wishing every one health and happiness, Lady Rose